I wrote a game a year ago that used BT for its network transport.  I
was using mostly HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S for testing (both
2.1).

In my experience when a BT connection manages to get past the set-up
stage it works just fine.

However, connection set-up was a huge PITA.  Never mind that about 1
in 5 connection attempts failed for some reason although the devices
were lying on my desk right next to each other.  The most puzzling
thing was that the connection only succeeded if it was initiated by
the Galaxy S.  Connections initiated in the opposite direction (by the
Desire) had success rate less than about 1 in 20 or 30 (which is the
number of attempts before I gave up and let the Galaxy S to initiate
the connection).

Now, I'm no BT expert and there might a perfectly good explanation for
all of that.  However, for the time being I would hesitate to call my
Android/BT experience perfect.