I don't think you will be able to do this with a XML layout. You probably
want to take a look at this

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/util/DisplayMetrics.html#xdpi

There is both xdpi and ydpi. That should be checked to get the actual dpi in
both directions and then a view created with those calculations should get
you where you want to go.

Here is what I get on a few of my devices in portrait mode:

// --- Sample Code Start ---
DisplayMetrics metrics = new DisplayMetrics();
Display display = getWindowManager().getDefaultDisplay();
display.getMetrics( metrics );

Log.i( "TestProject", "X DPI: " + metrics.xdpi );
Log.i( "TestProject", "Y DPI: " + metrics.ydpi );
// --- Sample Code End ---

*Samsung Galaxy Tab (7 inch):*
X DPI: 168.89351
Y DPI: 169.33333