Well, an app widget still needs to be installed as part of *some* package
(Market application from the user's view), so ...

... unless you have one mandatory (primary, hub type) application, I'd say,
package the widget as a separate application, have all the non-widget ones
check for it and prompt the user to install it ...

... and probably have the widget do the opposite - check for the other apps
and tell the user about them.