Hi

I'm totally out of my depth but persistently wading and learning as I
go.
I'm really unfamiliar with the Java paradigm, so please bear with me
and don't assume I know anything (because, really, I probably don't :-
( ).

A few questions:

1. Could someone point me to, or explain to me, the intended flow of
an Android application? eg. if I want to:
"do X; get results from X; then display Y to user; then get input;
then do Z"
I've gleaned so far that I have my main Activity class, in which I set
a listener for X, then call X, and that's the end of that class;
Then, when my listener is called, I set a listener for input from the
user, and display Y to user, and that's all for that class;
then, in yet another new class, I have the code that is called if the
user presses the button.

Is that right ?
Seems rather disjoint, and coming from a perl/python background I'm
used to systematic flow: "Do X, then display content to user, then
loop or block until user enters", so please correct my thinking above
if it's erroneous.

2. I have a class "extends Activity" which is the first class of my
application. I then want to display a list, and have a class that
"extends ListActivity". The ListActivity class is called from a
BroadcastReceiver (basically, I'm scanning SSIDs, the listener is
called when scan is complete, and then I want to display a list of
SSIDs to the user for selection). When I attempt to transfer to a
method inside the ListActivity class, my program crashes; I understand
that this is due to the different type of view (from TextView to
ListView, I suspect). I also have the feeling that I need to set an
intent to transition from the first class type to the second...
however I don't have sufficient knowledge/background/experience to
understand how to get this done (My attempt to create an intent and
call startActivity failed because startActivity is not available from
within a BroadcastReceiver class) ... :-o

Many thanks
Gary