Well, I rebooted my PC and tried again.   I manually started the
emulator and I was then distracted by an email so the emulator sat for
several minutes.  Returning to Eclipse, I tried debugging again and
this time the running emulator was listed as an option and things seem
to be cooperating.   My quad-core PC is no slouch but apparently the
4.0 emulator needs even more time to spin up and get itself together
than even Honeycomb required.