On 2011-10-23 07:53, John Coryat wrote:
GPS doesn't require an internet connection but it does require receiving
a very weak signal from a number of GPS satellites. That usually means a
view of the sky.

Although I agree that it doesn't REQUIRE an internet connection, I must say that all my phones are a LOT quicker at getting a fix when there is an internet connection. This is very noticeable when I use it for navigation abroad (turned of extortionate roaming). I typically have no problem getting a GPS fix indoors at work (3rd floor, but not top) when I have an internet connection.

See Assisted GPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

                        Best / Jonas