Looking for some guidance on whether to use the ActionBar or not. The
problem is that the ActionBar takes away a major amount of real estate
on the screen. That's not a problem on tablets. It is on phones though
for my app.

With Ice Cream Sandwich bringing ActionBars to phones, I'm in trouble:
I need a way to use the ActionBar on tablet size devices, while using
the regular way to display menus on phones. I can think of two ways to
handle this:

1: Resolution specific menu.xml
This has the problem though that there are phones that have higher
resolutions than tablets. So this won't work.

2: Implement a preferences setting to hide the ActionBar
I can implement a preferences setting for my App to go for full screen
display and hide the ActionBar. This works well. The bummer here is
that once the menu is hidden it stays hidden. A user can only reach
the preferences via the menu again - but I've hidden that so he can't.
Once I disable the ActionBar on a Honeycomb tablet, there is no way
the user can himself invoke the menu again.

How are you guys handling this dilemma?