On Jan 1, 6:27 pm, Quartz <william.qua...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But basically, I have to start the adb deamon a certain way, as
> follows: kill server if running, then "sudo adb devices".

Running adb as root is necessary if you don't get the USB permissions
set up right.  For example:

% lsusb
[...]
Bus 005 Device 009: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp.

% ls -l /dev/bus/usb/005/009
crw-rw-r-- 1 root plugdev 189, 520 Jan  5 12:59 /dev/bus/usb/005/009

Note it's read-write for group "plugdev", of which I'm a member.  This
stuff is set up by the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules changes
described on
http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware,
but I've heard that on some systems a later set of rules overrides
those and you have to tweak it to make it work right.