Depending on how your app stores data, you could adb pull the data files
prior to installing the development version, do your testing, reinstall the
production version, then adb push the data files back to your device to
restore the production state.I do this with a small app of mine that uses
sqlite to store user data. For more complex apps, I use a different package
name when debugging vs releasing.

Accessing the data with abd may require being rooted - I have never kept an
unrooted phone around long enough to know exactly what parts of the file
system are accessible by default.

Josh.