The screen being off does not mean the device is asleep.  Often the screen
will be off but the CPU will still be running to background work, in which
case this alarm will go off.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.