The problem appears to be that if the message is null when then dialog
is first created, it will set the visibility of the TextView that
contains the message to GONE, with no way of coming back. (That's why
you saw practically nothing.) So when you're using the Builder, set
the message to something:

new AlertDialog.Builder(this).setMessage("").create()

Then using setMessage in onPrepareDialog works (it did for me, in the
eumulator).

//Ken