On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Sebastian Tomaszewski
<stomasze101...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As we know that the Bottom Status Bar in the Android Honeycomb takes lots of
> real-estate on the Tablet screen, since this is the case and one of my
> applications that I am creating needs that space, is there someway to hide
> it without ROOTING the device?

No.

> I research a lot on this subject and I haven't found any solutions that I am
> looking for and at the same time I don't understand why there isn't way to
> do that now (hide it, shrink it, move it, whatever) ...

Because users need to be able to control their devices, and the
control buttons on tablets are in the system bar.

> What I understand
> is that if some people will remove that completely, the users will be stuck
> in that program and the only way to get out is to restart the device...At
> the same time I would like to argue that the developer should know
> better...

Malware authors say the same thing.

> Does anyone know if this will be an
> option in the near future without ROOTING the device?

I will be stunned if it is ever an option for developers to attack
users this way. Users might have options for getting rid of the bar,
and the OS (on its own or via modded ROMs) might switch to some other
model where the bar is only sporadically visible.

> If so, does anyone
> know how of the near future that is going to be, because I am really on a
> tight deadline here?

Even if Android 4.1/5.0/whatever the J release is were to add this
feature, it will be late 2013 before a preponderance of devices runs
that version of Android or higher. That would not seem to fit with any
likely definition of "tight deadline".

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.6 Available!