Just to make it clear, that's an "Annotation" not a comment.
Comments are ignored by the compiler, annotations are actually evaluated by
the compiler in compile time and sometimes during runtime too.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/annotations.html

from the documentation:

Annotations have a number of uses, among them:

2011/10/28 John Davis <davi...@gmail.com>

> 2011/10/28 Francisco Dalla Rosa soares <soa...@argo.bz>:
> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=java+override
> > I can't of nicer way to do this :)
> >

> > 2011/10/28 JBlaza <jbl...@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> I have looked on several other forums. i am new to the java programming
> >> community, and i am looking for a clear understanding of the @overide
> >> annotation, and what it does, or signifies.
> >>

> The override part is a comment.  It means that the routine exists
> already in your class or parent(s) class and that you have decided to
> do it differently from the already implemented code.
> In other words, you have created a new class derived from an existing
> class.  The existing class or one of its parent classes has
> implemented a function.  You want to change the  behaviour of
> that funciton so you override it by creating the same function in your
> class.
>
> Possibly I am not sure, but the keyword might also check your function
> parameters and return class to ensure that
> you are correctly matching the existing function as a check. Said
> another way, there exists a class called Foo and you derive from it
> with a class called MyFoo.  Foo implements
> a routine called void doIt(int a);  You want to override it.  In
> eclipse, you type doI - and then ctrl-space and it auto-completes to
> the function signature with empty brackets and the @override keyword.
> Somewhere along the way, you change the funciton parameter to a float,
> but you leave the @override keyword there.  As far as the compiler
> goes, this is legal, but with the override syntax there
> the compiler will flag that the routine is not really overriden since
> doIt() requires a int parameter and not a float.
>
> --
> John F. Davis
>
> 独树一帜

株式会社アルゴ ARGO Inc.