Ash,
I'm doing the same sort for thing for a client (i rooted the device
and created a flashable rom). I am having the device restart the
device when it closes. The difference is we do allow some users to use
the exit button and get to the device (mainly for debugging).
Otherwise the exit button causes the device to reboot. Also in the
case of an abend the app is restarted automatically.

If you are still looking and interested in my solution then let me
know and i'll put together some sample code.

I do have a question for you however. How do you install the update
programatically. I am doing it, but the user is prompted and we can't
always trust our users to actually install the update.

Brian