I'll ping the group one last time.  Can anyone confirm that this is
not possible?

I looked at the latest com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity in
the main code branch now (I believe this includes the Cupcake
updates), and it still appears the handleSendIntent() intent method is
assuming that any EXTRA_STREAM data is an image, without checking the
data MIME type.

Any other ideas to maybe directly create an MMS message to send?  It's
hard for me to believe this is completely not possible to do in code.

Thanks again,
Blake