Hi,

I find the Galaxy S2 quite problematic with bluetooth as well, often
needing to stop & start bluetooth in order to get it to device to
connect. I found it is more reliable using the undocumented method you
mentioned as well as using the insecure versions of the same method
calls and that this seems to work ok on all the devices I have tested
with - GS2, Nexus 1, Nexus S, Xperia Arc, LG 2x, HTC Evo 3D & Motorola
Xoom.

As far as what the diferences are it is best if you read through the
Android source code.

Regards