I want my app to set the orientation to portrait on devices that can
use the portrait orientation. To do this I use
android:screenOrientation in the manifest. But there are some devices
which do not support portrait orientation (some google tv's). On
phones I want to set the orientation to portrait, but on tv's I'd like
to set the orientation unspecified. Is there a way I can check for
which orientations are available in the manifest (or maybe which
device it's running on) before I set the orientation.

Or could I set the orientation from the activity instead of from the
manifest?

Thanks!

Note: I want to force the orientation to portrait if it's available,
and I want to do it before the activity starts, like it does when you
set it in the manifest. Also if you just set the orientation to
portrait in the manifest and the device does not have a portrait
orientation your app will crash.