Not really.  The confusion between Java generics and C++ templates causes
more trouble than it explains things. When you come right down to it, the only thing in common is the angle-bracket syntax. It's very misleading to
say that Java generics are like C++ templates.

For that matter, it's pretty misleading to say that anything in Java is
like its counterpart in C++. In Java pointers are called "references" and
behave very differently from C++ pointers or references.  Garbage
collection works differently from destructors.  The memory model is
different.  And so on.

Not only that, but almost nothing from 1996 Java applies today. You don't use 'Vector' or 'Hashmap' any more, you have Swing (well, not for Android),
a new threading model, generics, 'assert', for:each, enums, ...

OMG!  The list is HUGE what's missing from a 15-year-old reference.  So
much that it is essentially useless for a budding Android programmer.

> I did a little search on net, but did not see documents explaining the
> above.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+tutorial

Mine, I am reading a 15-year old book (from a friend) to catch up on Java.

I think you have over-emphasized somewhat, it can't be that nothing applies.

On second thought, may be I should sue my friend for (may be intentionlly ) misleading me.