I'm using the v4 support package to get Fragment support in older
devices.  I've got a fragment that I would like to include in an
Activity, and I've done the following:

1.  Added the fragment to the Activity's XML layout via a <fragment>
tag.
2.  Added a layout for the fragment in my res/layouts/ folder.
3.  Added some Java code for my fragment (included below)

#1 and #2 appear to be working, but #3 gives me an error when I try to
call getView():

public class MyFragment extends Fragment {

        @Override
        public View onCreateView(LayoutInflater inflater, ViewGroup
container,
                        Bundle savedInstanceState) {
                View view = inflater.inflate(R.layout.awesome_layout, container,
false);
                return view;
        }

    public void update() {
        TextView name = (TextView) getView().findViewById(R.id.nameView);
        name.setText("An awesome name!");
    }
}

Specifically, I get back an
"android.support.v4.app.NoSaveStateFrameLayout" object from getView(),
when I'm expecting the view I inflated to be returned (or at least
null to tell me I messed up).  I call the update() method in my
Activity's onCreate() method, after calling setContentLayout().  I've
also tried calling update() well after my Activity has been created
and hanging around for a while, but I get the same behavior.

Does anyone have any pointers as to why I might be getting a different
object back from getView()?

Thanks,

Randy