I tried to use the sample code of  "http://developer.android.com/
reference/android/provider/ContactsContract.Contacts.Photo.html" to
load the thumbnail-sized photo into a list but eclipse always
complains a compilation error at line

Cursor cursor = getContentResolver().query(photoUri,
          new String[] {Contacts.Photo.PHOTO}, null, null, null);

"PHOTO cannot be resolved or is not a field"

I just copied the the code and pressed ctrl-shift-o to fix the
imports. I'm using Android 2.1 (Level 7). Any idea what's wrong?

Does anybody have another solution?

Besides how could I test for the presens of a photo in the contacts to
only query when there's a photo?