On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Tony Houghton <h...@realh.co.uk> wrote:
> I want to develop/port games for Android. Most of the Android books
> assume some knowledge of Java which I don't really know yet. I'm an
> experienced C programmer (including use of GObject so I'm familiar with
> concepts like Interfaces), and have done a bit of C++, so I don't think
> I'll have much trouble picking up the core language of Java. The
> difficult part of learning a new programming language is learning its
> libraries and I think Java has a huge range, so a book/online tutorial
> which focuses on the ones most likely to be useful in Android would be
> helpful.
>
> Any recommendations?

I think the general advice that is given in this situation is that
Java isn't all that hard to learn.  You can go find the books written
by Sun (well I guess Oracle) on Java, and these tend to be pretty good
guides.  As far as the libraries you need for *Android*, you should
only consider the standard core APIs, excluding the GUI stuff in Java.
 In other words, don't buy a book that is heavily dependent on using
Swing, etc... (actually it appears that this might be somewhat hard to
do..).

A bit of searching reveals some common answers:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/167179/java-tutorial

I'll echo that the 'standard' java tutorials are very good and you
should start there, definitely avoiding the "learn x in fixnum days."

If you're coming from C the hardest thing will be adapting to thinking
in object oriented terms.  This might not be too difficult, but there
are some fairly deep concepts that just working with examples in the
SDK demos might not explain.  Bruce Eckel's books come up again and
again for this sort of thing.  I will emphasize, however, that java
just simply isn't that hard a language, and picking up Android is much
more about understanding the framework and design rather than the Java
language.

Oh, and wanting to write games rather than standard apps adds some
multiplier to your learning time, because you'll necessarily (unless
you're doing simple java games that just work with 2d graphics
packages) be doing something complicated under the covers involving
the hardware..  And in general graphics programming just has math
behind it that other areas of programming don't (necessarily).

Kris