I need to write to the SD card so the user can transfer data files
created by my app to other devices.  getExternalFilesDir() does not
always point to the SD card, even when there is one.  As the developer
docs say:

Quote:

Note: don't be confused by the word "external" here. This directory
can better be thought as media/shared storage. It is a filesystem that
can hold a relatively large amount of data and that is shared across
all applications (does not enforce permissions). Traditionally this is
an SD card, but it may also be implemented as built-in storage in a
device that is distinct from the protected internal storage and can be
mounted as a filesystem on a computer.  In devices with multiple
"external" storage directories (such as both secure app storage and
mountable shared storage), this directory represents the "primary"
external storage that the user will interact with.

---- and indeed my testing confirms this.  On 2 out of 3 Android
tablets I have for testing, getExternalFilesDir() directs me to built-
in memory, not the removable SD card.  And this posting on
Stackoverflow indicates that there is no general solution for this
problem:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5524105/how-could-i-get-the-correct-external-storage-on-samsung-and-all-other-devices

How can this be?  Is it truly impossible to write a generic Android
app that for sure will access the SD card?