I have an app in which I select a theme of
"android:Theme.Holo.NoActionBar.Fullscreen". the app has a minim SDK of 11
and a target of 13. I am avoiding the use of the ActionBar due to issues in
the way this works on different sized devices.

I am attempting to provide a menu button which simply does a call to
openOptionsMenu. On certain device emulations this works as expected e.g.
an ICS Large screen sized emulator. However, on other devices the menu
button does nothing, the "click" is registered but no menu appears and no
call is made to onCreateOptionsMenu or onPrepareOptionsMenu. There is no
application crash, simply no menu.

I see some discussion that on Honeycomb there are issues with  this and
with the presence/absence of a title bar. Is there any known solution to
this issue. I would add that there is no soft menu button displayed by the
device so in these circumstances the users would be locked out of options.