There are Java APIs which wrap calls for native interfaces, for
example, for one of the most popular opensource OCR engines -
Tesseract (http://groups.google.com/group/tesseract-ocr/) - there are
some Java wrappers like tesjeract (http://code.google.com/p/
tesjeract/) or Tess4J (http://tess4j.sf.net/).

One more solution could be a cloud service. It requires end-user
application to have the internet connection, but it's independent from
your programming language choice and resources limitations. Have a
look at ABBYY Cloud OCR SDK (http://www.ocrsdk.com/), it's a cloud-
based OCR SDK recently launched by ABBYY. It's in beta, so for now
it's totally free to use and it has a ready-to-go Android code
samples: https://github.com/abbyysdk/ocrsdk.com/tree/master/Android