So in order to guarantee SIP support, we need to include our own SIP
stack to circumvent a carrier/device maker disabling the native SIP
stack written by Google? Doesn't this make it not worth Google's time
to write in SIP support, because why write an application that uses a
feature that only works on a minority of phones?

Isn't this the definition of device fragmentation and isn't that what
ICS was supposed to fix? And didn't Eric promise us this:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/07/eric-schmidt-android-will-be-bigger-than-ios/.
If it's true that SIP can be turned off and on at will by device
makers and carriers, it seems this is not a redress at all. Maybe I'm
missing something...? Thanks!