I answered my own question a bit.  It does appear that the emulator
only connects on startup at present, not sure why it didn't work the
first time I booted the ics AVD instance.  Still, it would be nice to
see a controlling application in the emulator that would allow us to
view the status (successful connection or not) and control it in some
way.

Regardless of the rough edges, this is a huge blessing for developers
working with advanced sensor applications.  I'm mostly interested in
the SdkControllerLib to create custom sensor playback and recording
tools that will help me refine my application logic.  Thanks a ton
guys :)