Fred Grott(shareme) wrote:
> Is that  the only one that works right now?

The only one...what?

The OP's list had many other alternatives. I agree with his assessment:

-- JSON is nice but you either need to do your own marshalling code or
use something like Thrift (which, unfortunately, can only export JSON --
bi-directional is a tight binary format)

-- Java serialization is evil evil evil for interop

-- SOAP is heavy

-- Other stuff like XStream might require porting work

I just happen to know that Thrift's Java implementation compiles and
runs cleanly on Android, at least circa ~2 months ago.

I don't know if JSON+compression is faster and/or smaller on-wire than
Thrift's binary packaging.

If by "the only one that works" you mean whether the Thrift service
endpoint logic works, it might -- I just haven't tried it. My one case
was using Thrift binary packaging over HTTP.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com