Hello,

I'm trying to launch a Gallery Intent to allow the user to select an
image. The issue is that the code works on 2.x but fails occasionally
on 4.x (I haven't tested 3.x). I've narrowed it down to issues
specific to Picasa-sourced images. For example, from my google+ posts
(still in the Gallery app).

The problematic URI is "content://
com.google.android.gallery3d.provider/picasa/item/<some ID>".
Attempting to retrieve the image local path gives me the error : "W/
GalleryProvider( 8091): unsupported column: _data"

My code is below:

Intent photoPickerIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_PICK);
photoPickerIntent.setType("image/*");
startActivityForResult(photoPickerIntent, PROFILE_PIC_RESULT);

and then in onActivityResult(int requestcode, int resultcode, Intent
data) :

if(requestCode == PROFILE_PIC_RESULT && resultCode == RESULT_OK){
         Uri selectedImage = data.getData();
         String[] filePathColumn = {MediaStore.Images.Media.DATA};
         Cursor cursor = getContentResolver().query(selectedImage,
filePathColumn, null, null, null);
         cursor.moveToFirst();

         int columnIndex =
cursor.getColumnIndexOrThrow(filePathColumn[0]);
         String filePath = cursor.getString(columnIndex);
}

In 2.x, filePath will contain a useful string. In 4.x, filePath is
null on some images because of the issue noted above.

I found a similar bug report that seems to be suffering from the above
problem: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=21234

Can anyone confirm? I might need to submit another bug report on this
issue.. because it's frustrating that some images a user might pick
will be invalid while others will be okay.