> There's no reason why some company can't just hire a non-Google developer
> though. Being a Google employee doesn't confer some magic power. There are
> thousands of competent Android developers who can be had if you're willing
> to shell out enough money.

I suspect that the way you would really get some insight is to talk to
a framework engineer.  This might presumably give you more insight
than an external consultant, because you would have an internal
perspective on why certain design decisions were made.  However, I
would suspect that all of these people would be too busy to talk to
people about designing apps.  (Or at least, I *hope* the framework
engineers wouldn't have to deal with being randomly pulled out of the
development cycle to answer questions from random people voluntarily.
:-)

Kris