James,
Thanks for your help. I have seen that link and have been using the
approach suggested there which compares the current time to that of
the last location update and assumes that the fix is lost if the time
difference is too long. This works for me if the mintime and
mindistance values are both 0. However, if I set them to 1 sec and 1
meter, then I start getting false indication that the gps fix is lost
when I am stationary since updating stops due to mindistance. The
solution to this issue that was proposed by a poster in that thread
was to issue another requestLocationUpdates, which doesn't seem like a
good solution to me. I can use the time difference approach and keep
both mintime and mindistance at 0, but I was looking for a better
solution.