Actually it's easier than I thought. ArrayAdapter takes an array of
objects so I can create a simple object that holds the displayable
string and the associated value, the tostring() on it will return the
displayable string, the getValue() returns the associated value. I
then code a simple method that takes an array of the displayable
strings, an array of the values and then returns an array of the
objects just described. I create the ArrayAdaptor with this array of
objects and jobs a good-un.

Job done :)