Hi,

Since Eclair I've been using a custom dictionary for LatinIME as it
never included a Swedish dictionary. Getting it installed simply meant
building the binary .dict with makedict, put it in res/raw-sv and then
removing "sv" from the blacklist of unsupported languages in java/src/
com/android/inputmethod/latin/InputLanguageSelection.java. In 2.3.5
the blacklist was changed to a whitelist but other than that it was
the same.

Browsing through the source tree for ICS I noticed that the dictionary
format changed so I built the new makedict, rebuilt the main.dict file
without issues and put it in res/raw-sv as I can see from the stock
rom that it still uses that naming and location. The resulting
LatinIME.apk includes the dictionary file just fine but it doesn't
seem to actually load the new dictionary when I select Swedish in the
list of languages. I haven't found a similar blacklist/whitelist yet.
How can I enable the dictionary properly?

------------

Slightly unrelated but I also decompiled LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk to
see how it handled installation of the dictionaries. It's the apk
providing the Add-on dictionaries option in the stock rom for the
Galaxy Nexus. In there I found that it downloaded a file called
metadata.json from gstatic.com contained links to the dictionaries.
Using a simple hosts entry I pointed pointed it to a modified
metadata.json and got it to show my dictionary in Settings. I had
trouble installing it though as it conflicted with the included old GB-
style included in the LatinIME.apk from the CM ICS tree. I didn't
pursue this further as it felt like the wrong approach considering
that apk isn't open source as far as I can see. (It would be nice to
see an open source implementation though but perhaps without the link
to the presumably licensed dictionaries. That way people interesting
in it could make their own repo for community made dictionaries.)