As I said by private mail already. I am not there yet, but that doesn't
matter as I found this discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/beae7de5e2500cb6/9891024d8ddfeefb
which talks exactly about using a homegrown content provider to serve files
directly.
Inside this article you'll find a link to this blogpost (
http://lucabelluccini.blogspot.com/2008/09/android-developers-google-group-focus.html)
which contains the working code.