I appreciate your answers very much. I am currently experimenting with
the WakeLock and the AlarmManager, that were great hints !
Just a few words concerning the use case:

I am writing an educational app for the barometer (contained in the
Nexus Prime). Surely it does not make sense to measure the atmospheric
pressure once a second or once a minute. Probably once every 10-60
minutes is more appropriate in everyday life. For these cases, the
AlarmManager migth be the right choice. But in some cases, it might be
interesting to see more frequent updates. Think of balloonists, glider
pilots, sky divers. To address these as well, I need to test with
extreme settings like measuring once a second. For an hour or a few
hours it might be ok to keep the CPU running if the user is aware of
it and explicitly turned on the WakeLock-option.

In all other cases I definetely agree with you and want to warn other
developers, battery really drains fast :-o

Thanks again !