On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Kristopher Micinski <krismicin...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > I was wondering about the availability of good tutorials on Java XML DOM
> > though.
> >

> This shouldn't be your concern, there is a vast amount of literature
> (in the form of references, tutorials, etc...) on both XML, and DOM,
> Android also has an XmlPullParser that you might want to look into,
> I'm sure there are a fully sufficient number of tutorials on that as
> well.
>
> In general your choices in android are these three: dom, sax, and
> xmlpullparser, plus whatever off the shelf parser you want to grab.
> The stigma with dom is that there's a large runtime overhead.  Even if
> it's *small enough* you shouldn't use it (dom) just because it's
> slightly easier to learn, but there might be appropriate reasons for
> it depending on what you need...

Yes, for instance the fact that with DOM you can not only parse but also
build XML models in memory. I would say both are just as easy to learn,
but with DOM I can also presumably validate my document once it's in
memory. Maybe I can do that with SAX as well, not sure.

Anyways the following book has an up-to-date chapter on Java and XML

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-7-Apress/dp/1430239093/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326650427&sr=8-7
even though android AFAIK uses Java 6 this reference should be good
enough for my purposes.

Regards,

John Goche