I recently published my second app for android app store - a year
after my first release which attracted about 4000 downloads (the app
is free). My second app seem to be lost even before it is submitted -
which is quite annoying when I think of all the nights and evenings I
have spend developing it. Actually I think the app is good. All my
friends who have Apple are very impressed with it and ask when it will
come on their platform. However, on the Android platform the app
drowns in all a maelstrom of apps. I  experience a lot of wall paper
apps in the game section and I also experience very large differences
in quality.

I reckon, that google has tried to encourage more shows by creating
various lists - but to be hornest - I think it is the same stuff (and
not always the best) which shows up on the lists.

So how can a small time developer get some attention?

My first app was launched when the store had a news list (not sorted
on popularity). Although the app never was on top of the list for
long, it was there for some hours - enough to gain the first momentum
to get it going. Presently this list does not exists anymore - and my
app only shows if the user seeks on specific key words - not for the
casual user.

My suggestion is therefore if it would be possible to reinstate the
news list as it were - really showing new stuff in its cronological
order - and maybe introduce random lists - showing random apps in the
low end of download spectrum. This could ensure better dynamics.

Furthermore I have noticed that some developers have got a certain
approval mark. How is that obtained - and could I apply for such
approval - maybe paying a fee and get to a verification proces.

Anyways I feel like a needle in a haystack - I have a strong point -
but is lost,