Okay I got it done using the DDMS file manager. I have to say your
original thoughts about reasons for the video not playing is
absolutely correct. With your app I can also hear the audio but cannot
see any video. I can also see the all the control buttons and the
progress bar. I do not get the control buttons on my app but in my app
I'm using the MediaPlayer directly - not through MediaController.

I guess I will need to move to using a real device.