On Jan 12, 2:50 pm, blindfold <seeingwithso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "ERROR/dalvikvm-heap(10734): 518400-byte external allocation too large
> for this process"
>
> even though my app's own heap use has never grown above 5 MB as seen
> from looking at its DDMS view. Makes no sense to me since there should
> be over 10 MB left, easily accommodating for the 0.5 MB that the VM is
> failing to allocate.

What log messages appear when this happens?

As I mentioned in a separate thread, I'm not sure that the "external
allocation" shows up on all virtual heap usage displays.  The actual
allocation of bitmaps is performed on the native heap, but it's
counted against the virtual heap as a hack to force the GC to clean up
native allocations.

> The only way I have now been able to fix this serious multiple run
> problem is to make my app suicidal: it kills its own process through
> int pid = android.os.Process.myPid(); android.os.Process.killProcess
> (pid); at the end of onDestroy().

System.exit() might be easier.