Although I dont' remember encountering exaclty the same problem, the
unreliability of logcat display from inside Eclipse is the reason I
long ago got into the habit of runnig logcat in a Terminal window (I
run Eclipse under Linux, not Windows) instead. But even then, when I
disconnect the USB cable for the phone, I find that often I have to
restart adb. But this is a lot less drastic than restarting Eclipse.

So that is what I suggest you try: stop and restart the server using
the adb command from a terminal window (or a command shell) when you
see that problem. It is a lot faster than restarting Eclipse.