The LogCat contents after the crash is

ERROR/AndroidRuntime(19994): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start receiver irp.plan.OnAlarmReceiver: android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: Calling startActivity() from outside of an Activity context requires the FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag. Is this really what you want?
ERROR/AndroidRuntime(19994): Caused by: android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: Calling startActivity() from outside of an Activity context requires the FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag. Is this really what you want?

So I guess I have to add the FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag to the intent to start the activity, because the startActivity() is called from inside the message receiver OnAlarmReceiver.