I'm trying to create two rows of display, each consisting of an image
to the left and accompanying text to the right. My XML file looks
like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    android:orientation="vertical" >
    <LinearLayout
        android:orientation="horizontal"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        android:layout_weight="1">
        <TextView
            android:text="string1"
            android:gravity="center_horizontal"
            android:background="#000000"
            android:drawableLeft="@drawable/image1"
            android:layout_width="wrap_content"
            android:layout_height="fill_parent"
            android:layout_weight="1"/>
    </LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout>
        // same as above but for string2 and image2
    </LinearLayout>

</LinearLayout>

I was expecting "android:drawableLeft" to give me my image to the left
of the text at the same vertical position but it is lower down. It's
as if there are four rows, at the right in the first row is string1
and at the left in the second row is image1 and so on. Anyone know how
I can get image1 vertically aligned with string1 and image2 with
string2?