I have a little Bluetooth app (based on BluetoothChat sample code)
that works fine on a couple of devices, but I thought I'd test on
Kindle Fire (which does not have Bluetooth) to make sure I got
"Bluetooth is not available" error. But no - the call to
BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter(), which should return null returns
with an adapter (and call to mBluetoothAdapter.getState() returns
"STATE_OFF"

Since my code does not see any error, it then proceeds to try to turn
on Bluetooth on the Fire using startActivityForResult(enableIntent,
REQUEST_ENABLE_BT); but this just hangs the app.

Perhaps the Fire thinks it has Bluetooth hardware but then can't
actually enable it? Anyone know how I can better detect this situation
to keep my app from hanging?

As an aside, running this code on an emulator does detect and show
"Bluetooth is not available" error.