Yes that's my fear too. And I had been having the issues you describe
about the interface hanging at 27% when trying to re-launch an
emulator...although I'm thinking I was having those problems even
right before r16. That was very annoying but at least you could close
it, kill the process and restart and it would work. When everything
totally freezes and crashes when trying to get screen captures from
the DDMS screen is what makes it useless.

I had to transfer my files to another machine that I happened to not
have updated yet in order to get those. But that situation may not
always be possible if I'm working remotely and only have my laptop to
work on.

It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one with these issues. :)