A phone needs a SIM card in order to work.  You'll have to buy one,
from a carrier.

"Unlocked" means that you can buy any SIM that you want, AT&T, T-
Mobile, etc., and it will work in the phone.  A locked phone will only
work with the with a SIM from the company that sold you the phone.

The phone is not a brick.  There are instructions around, for getting
it running, with just the USB cable.  After you follow them, you will
be able to use Apps, Wireless, GPS, etc., just not the phone.

-blake