I want to have a background image of a game board in one of my activities,
and I am not sure how to implement it. I have been reading about Drawables
and 9patch, and I am confused about the basics.

1. I can draw the image I want in GIMP, but what size do I make it?
Actually, what sizes, as I assume I have to have one for each of the
different resolutions - hdp, ldp, and mdp? Do I need separate images for
both portrait and landscape orientations?

2. Is 9patch just for buttons, or for background images, too? Is this the
tool I need to help with the screen size issues from question #1?

3. I can't seem to find any good tutorials about how to make a background
image for an activity, and how to make it accommodate all the screen sizes
and resolutions. Yes, I have googled for it and looked in O'Rielley's
Programming Android...;)

Thanks,

Mark