2012/2/4 David Ross <grand...@vacuumpunk.com>:
> Why change working behaviour?

In this case, to help stop drive-by malware. Android has long had a
"nothing runs until the user runs it" approach, which is why there is
no on-install code you can have run. Developers were getting past that
by registering for system broadcasts -- Lookout's Plan B app
registered for just about all of them IIRC. As a result, malware
taking the same approach could automatically get control, albeit after
some delay.

Now, you can argue that they took a shotgun approach to the problem,
wiping out app widgets along the way. IMHO, app widgets should still
show up, despite this "stopped" status, and if the user elects to
install an app widget, it should move the app out of the "stopped"
state.

> I don't
> own a 3.x or 4.x device and the 3.x emulator sucks, I can't get it to
> run on my modest laptop, so I have trouble even testing on the later
> platforms.

The 4.x WVGA emulator should run approximately as quickly as the
Android 2.3 emulator. It's the tablet screen sizes that are the
problem, much more so than the Android version.

> In fact, aside from that mention you linked to of an Application's
> state as stopped or started, there seems to be no real explanation of
> this behaviour at the Application level anywhere in the developer
> documentation. How are we supposed to know and understand this sort of
> undocumented behaviour?

Ask questions, and let those of us who have crawled on the broken
glass already help point out, "Yo! There's broken glass down here!
And, um, by the way, do you have any disinfectant, and maybe some
bandages?"

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_Android Programming Tutorials_ Version 4.1 Available!