Thanks I got that to work however now reloading the image is causing a problem
here is the code
            Bitmap img       = BitmapFactory.decodeFile(fName);
Log.i("display"," mute: " + img.isMutable() + " recycle: " + img.isRecycled() );
            Matrix matrix    = new Matrix();
float scale = Math.min( (800.0f / img.getHeight()) , (1170.0f / img.getWidth()));
            matrix.postScale(scale, scale);
pictBMP = Bitmap.createBitmap(img, 0, 0, img.getWidth(), img.getHeight(), matrix, true); Log.i("display"," mute: " + pictBMP.isMutable() + " recycle: " + pictBMP.isRecycled() + " " + scale + " " + matrix.toString() );
            image.setImageBitmap(pictBMP);
            pictCanvas       = new Canvas(pictBMP);

If I load the original  I get
false     false
true false 0.73452 [0.73452 0.0 0.0] [0.0 0.73452 0.0] [0.0 0.0 1.0]

When I load the saved Image I get
false     false
false false 1.0 [1.0 0.0 0.0] [0.0 1.0 0.0] [0.0 0.0 1.0]

which then cause the pictCanvas = new Canvas line to fail

Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{...Display}: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Immutable bitmap passed to Canvas constructor Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Immutable bitmap passed to Canvas constructor

Any Ideas why the one is mutable and the other not, they are simply jpg files are they not ?