This is just an idea...

but why not try writing a the app as a custom version of
https://github.com/android/platform_packages_apps_launcher

and having a very small internal storage, so theirs no room for any
additional APK's.

N.B. I've never even compiled the kernel, so I've no idea if this will
work, however I've looked through the code enough to believe that the
"launcher" is the home screen.

Someone tell me I'm wrong before I end-up sending this poor guy up a
blind alley.