I believe that if you pass an object from one activity (as in
android.app.Activity) to another activity using Intent extras, and both
activities belong to the same process (which is the default if they belong
to the same .apk), then those two activities would be sharing the same
in-memory object. However, if you started an activity in another process
(e.g. from a different .apk), then the intent along with all its extras
would be serialized into the other processes memory space.