The java on Android is pretty much j2se. Some other mobile platforms use j2me. The popularity of j2me seems to be on the down swing. Broadly speaking, the difference is that j2se is a super set of j2me. The biggest difference that I have found is that j2me doesn't have generics and also doesn't support stuff like @Override.

You might consider sticking to j2me if you intend to be sharing some of the code on another platform. That is what I do, sadly, in order to support BlackBerry.